Thursday, August 15, 2013

Hiding God's Word in your heart--Scripture Memory

I recently joined a Proverbs 31 Ministries Bible study with some gals from my church called "Online Bible Study." (www.Proverbs31.org). We are reading through a book by Lysa Ter Keurst called, "What Happens When Women Say Yes to God." Each week, there is a memory verse that study participants are encouraged to study, meditate on and memorize. I've decided that I'm going to share these verses with my 6-year old son Isaiah. Isaiah is a remarkable boy--he was diagnosed with Autism at a very early age, but he doesn't let that stop him live life to the fullest! 
When I ask him if he would like to learn a scripture verse, he gets very excited and is ready to learn and practice! It helps me to learn the verses as well, because I listen to him recite them and teach them to him. 
Teaching our children about God is a very special part of parenthood that is not about a list of religious rules, but about teaching them to learn, understand and apply God's word to their lives. 
I'm reminded of a Scripture verse that talks about the importance of knowing the Word not just in our heads, but deep in our hearts. As parents, teachers, grandparents, babysitters, etc., we have the wonderful privilege of leading the children in our lives to a place where they can develop a desire for God's word by modeling it ourselves, and talking about it with them on a regular basis. 

Deuteronomy 6:6-9 says, "6  These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates."


Everywhere we go, there are teachable moments...everywhere we go we can talk about the Lord and teach His wonderful ways to our children, even before they learn to read!

As they get older, we pray that they will learn to live it out as this passage talks about:

Psalm 119:9-16

New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

How can young people keep their way pure?
    By guarding it according to your word.
10 With my whole heart I seek you;
    do not let me stray from your commandments.
11 I treasure your word in my heart,
    so that I may not sin against you.



No comments:

Post a Comment